EAM’s Internship Program provides a hands-on learning experience for the next generation of museum professionals.
Interns work closely with department leaders on a wide range of museum including, but not limited to, collection research and management, exhibition installation, marketing, visitor services, educational programs and administrative support. EAM’s goal is to support the intern’s areas of academic pursuit within the museum field and to provide opportunities within the session to work in other museum departments for a comprehensive learning experience.
Internships generally require a minimum of 10 hours per week. Interns must be of junior or senior undergraduate status or in a graduate program. We look for Interns with strong written and verbal skills and proficiency in Excel, Word, PowerPoint and social media. Your direct supervisor at EAM will complete assessment reports required for academic credit but interns are responsible for all other arrangements and paperwork needed for their college or university credit.
To Apply: Submit a cover letter, resume or curriculum vitae, one academic writing sample and up to two letter of recommendation from a recent professor or department head to firstname.lastname@example.org
Elmhurst Art Museum meets all ADA standards and is an equal opportunity employer.
Part-time intern position
14-16 hours per week depending on the schedule
Elmhurst Art Museum is seeking a highly motivated Curatorial Intern to work closely with the Executive Director and Exhibitions Manager. The ideal candidate would work two days (approximately 14-16 hours) per week.
· Provide research assistance for the upcoming exhibitions The Whole World A Bauhaus (February 16 - April 21) and the solo exhibition by Claudia Weber.
· Assist with coordinating potential exhibition-related public programs
· Research on "Panel Discussion: The McCormick House and the Bauhaus Dream of Pre-Fabricated Homes" which will take place at the EAM on Oct 27.
· Research on Mies van der Rohe experts
· Take care of the various tasks and maintenance of the current exhibitions McCormick House: 1952 - 1959 and David Wallace Haskins: Polarity
· Help with designing and printing marketing materials (posters, banners, postcards etc.) for our exhibitions
· Help the Exhibitions Manager to update the cataloging of the collection in The Museum System (TMS)
· Draft letters to artists and associates at other museums and galleries
· Draft well-written and researched social media entries and other publicity materials
· Assist our staff members with guided exhibition tours
· Research potential museum acquisitions
· Prepare documents and presentations for internal meetings
· Support and liaise with other departments within the museum, including Visitor Services, Education, and Administration
Skills & Qualifications:
· Undergraduate or graduate students studying in Art, Art History, Curatorial Studies, Museum Studies or related field
· Excellent organizational skills and strict attention to detail required
· Strong written and verbal skills
· Previous experience in the arts is a plus
· Knowledge of The Museum System (TMS) is preferred
· Knowledge of Adobe Illustrator, InDesign and Photoshop is preferred
· Ability to work a flexible schedule that may include evening, weekend and holiday assignments
If interested, please send your CV and cover letter to email@example.com
. Please reference the position title/department in the subject line. Only qualified candidates will be contacted.
This is an unpaid internship for a non-profit arts organization. College credit can be arranged for undergraduate or graduate students. 14-16 hours per week depending on the schedule.
Elmhurst Art Museum is located at 150 Cottage Hill Avenue in Elmhurst (IL), 25 minutes from downtown Chicago by car or public transportation (Metra). The Museum is both an international destination for Mies van der Rohe scholars and fans and a regional center where people from Chicago and the western suburbs learn to see and think differently through the study of the art, architecture, and design of our time. Please see www.elmhurstartmuseum.org
for more details about the institution and upcoming programs.