McCormick House: 1952 – 1959

September 8, 2018 - January 20, 2019

McCormick House: 1952 – 1959 curated by Robert Kleinschmidt and Ryan Monteleagre  

In tandem with the artist intervention by David Wallace Haskins, half of the McCormick House was curated with classic 1950s furniture inspired by historical photographs of the residence of Robert Hall McCormick III and Isabella Gardner (1952-59).

The McCormick House (1952) was a prototype for prefab housing proposed for the western Chicagoland area. The single-family house is composed of two of the proposed row houses arranged to create separate wings, one for the parents and one for the children. McCormick attempted to sell and promote the modular homes, but they were not met with enough buyers for construction. The house was later lived in by families of Arthur and Marilyn Sladek, Ray and Mary Ann Fick, and then purchased by the Elmhurst Art Museum for a new arts complex.  

Future phases of restoration will honor Mies van der Rohe’s original designs of the McCormick House by repairing interior elements, converting the walls to their original layout, and adding missing finishes. For their display, Kleinschmidt and Monteleagre added period furniture to create a living room, dining area, bedroom, and study in what would have been the Children’s Wing as a way to honor the architect and original clients.

Generously made possible by Laura & Gary Maurer, EAM's Programming Committee, Chicago Bauhaus & Beyond, and the Elmhurst Artists' Guild, with loans from RDK Design, The Furniture Shop, Inc., Oscar Isberian Rugs, Cedric Hartman, Utopio Workroom, and private collections.

One wing of the McCormick House will have the architectural intervention Ascension / Descension by David Wallace Haskins. Click here for more details.

Related Programs

Saturday, December 15, 2018 - 1:30pm

McCormick House Tour

*Tour added by popular demand*
See our special holiday display and learn about the history and unique design of the McCormick House (1952) by Mies van der Rohe on this docent-led tour. Over the summer, new restorations revealed the facade and carport entrance for the first time in over 25 years. The newest exhibition in the Children's Wing offers a full domestic interior inspired by the original residents (1952-59) for the first time the museum acquired the building. 

Free with admission or current membership.